Mount Kisco, NY
Thoughtful planning and design work on the part of technology integrator InnerSpace Electronics, Mount Kisco, N.Y., went into the development of this client's Connecticut waterfront property. The home, a new construction, mirrored the unusual property line, containing rooms unlike the standard rectangular shape. "This build and layout challenged us regularly throughout the project, where creativity was of the essence in planning for the location of all technology components," Barry Reiner, InnerSpace president, said.
The clients, as described by Reiner, are "successful, educated and very tech-sawy. They have another residence that employs many of the same technologies as this project." He added that the directive was to set up the home with "multiple entertainment spaces for gathering, listening to music and watching movies, with significant attention also paid to outdoor entertaining spaces including music and video."
The technology components consist of distributed video with the ability to control 16 televisions and 20 zones of music throughout the house and outdoor spaces. The lights are controlled through a 164-zone Lutron Homeworks QS system. Motorized shades in the kitchen, family room, and breakfast room control glare off the water, while translucent shades in the master suite offer privacy. The entire home is controlled through a Savant system — security, nine zones of HVAC, five cameras, lighting, shades and pool control — giving the homeowner a clean, uncluttered space without sacrificing one iota of functionality. "We gave a great deal of attention to detail" for every aspect of the project, Reiner said.
The homeowners were active participants during the build, said InnerSpace, orchestrating the trades on every detail, and knowing exactly what they desired in their dream home. From the stunning water views, to the custom turntable in the garage, the home was built with top-notch craftsmanship. To preserve this level of design, the installer said, placement of technology and discreet installation was mandatory to align the result with the homeowner's vision. "We partnered with leading vendors to develop solutions to keep technology hidden until needed, and collaboration between vendors, millworkers, general contractors and designers was essential to the success of the installation."
With this waterfront home, one of the most important factors for these clients was giving them the ability to enjoy their expansive Long Island Sound views. As avid exercisers with their gym equipment facing the gorgeous view, it was necessary to preserve the view; however, a television entertainment system was required for use in the space.
The ceiling was too shallow for an automated drop-down television lift, and alternatives for a floor or cabinet lift were not options. After numerous design sessions with the trades and clients, and much product research, vendor Future Automation partnered with InnerSpace to engineer a custom manual articulating bracket that could be folded up alongside the wall when not in use, with the ability to move into the prime viewing location.
In the dual-purpose media room, the projector needed to be stowed away until movie time. A motorized ceiling projector lift allowed InnerSpace to discreetly house the projector without impacting the performance. In the Master Bedroom, the TV was artfully concealed into a deep bay windowsill and, with a touch of a button on one of the control interfaces, it raises on a motorized television lift for optimal viewing.
Client-pleasing results were achieved with both depth of customer support by the InnerSpace team, along with intense collaboration with the builder, architect and designers. "They are fabulous, and we were honored to have the opportunity to work with them," said Reiner.
When all was said and done, the homeowners were presented with an automated, connected home with remote global controls of all sub environmental and entertainment systems, delivering overall peace of mind through an unobtrusive design.
- Equipment List
- Savant Pro Host SSD Package (Host Controller)
- Savant SmartAudio SSA-3220D Audio Matrix Switcher
- AudioControl Architect 1660 16-Channel Amplifier
- AudioControl Architect 1260 12-Channel Amplifier x3
- Atlona AT-UHD-PRO3-16161M Kit - HDMI Video Over Cat5/6 Matrix Switcher
- RTI XP-6 XP Central Processor with 6 Discrete IR Ports
- RTI T2i Wireless Custom Programmed Remote Control
- James Loudspeaker 63SA-7HO 3-way Flush-Mounted Small Aperture Speakers
- Sony XBR65X930D – 65-inch UHD 4K TV
- Marantz SR5011 A/V 7.2-Channel Surround Sound Receiver
- Bowers + Wilkins CCM-665 2-Way Found Flush-Mounted SpeakerS
- Sony VPL-VW365ES 4K Home Theater ES Projector
- Future Automation PD2.5 Recessed Ceiling Projector Lift Mechanism
- Stewart Filmscreen Visionary VE110HST13G3W-15-2-5 110-inch Diagonal HDTV Formal Roll-down Motorized 16:9 Projection Screen
- Sonance LS47SUB Package - Outdoor 70v Satellite Full-Range Speakers
- Middle Atlantic Slim 5-43 - Pre-assembled 43-Space Rack Enclosure
- Lutron HQP6-2-120 Homeworks QS P6 Processor with 2 links
- Lutron HQWD-W6BRL 6-Button See-Touch Lighting Keypads
- Lutron Sivoia QS Wires Roller Shades
- Savant SST-W100 Heating, Cooling & Humidity Thermostats
- Ruckus Zone Director ZD1205 Wireless LAN Controller
- Ruckus R500 Wireless Access Points
- IC Realtime NVR-708N – 8-Channel NVR
- IC Realtime ICIP-B2732Z IR Bullet Camera
- IC Realtime ICIP-D1300IR IP 50' IR Dome Camera