A Wealth of Stealth Gear
For this project, Signals AV was tasked by the Beverly Hills homeowner to work their tech magic, creating a turnkey system consisting of distributed audio and video, phone and access entry systems, an enterprise-grade network and a CCTV security system.
However, a prime directive from the owner here was “stealth” – most all technology had to be hidden. So the bulk of the gear was housed in a dedicated equipment room on the lower level, and James Loudspeaker Small Aperture speakers took residence in main spaces “to reduce the visual footprint without sacrificing performance.” Speakers were discreetly ensconced behind drywall, and the SolidDrive speakers in the wood ceilings were embedded invisibly, with no visual cues to their presence, as rear channels.
Everything is controllable by Crestron through iPads, touchpanels and hand-held remotes. The video source is accessible everywhere throughout the home and streaming audio sources like Pandora, Spotify and SiriusXM can be heard throughout the residence as well as outside.
The client, in this case, was knowledgeable about available technology and had his wants list at the ready – but “he was down for all that we recommended; he listened to us,” explained Signals AV CEO Todd DeAngelis.
The owner did not wish for a dedicated home theater but rather, a “rec room” multipurpose theater that would be versatile. They wanted an all-in-one “event-type space with room for things like a foosball table. Somewhere he could bring his family in and enjoy a movie or a sporting event but still have space where they could do other things,” said DeAngelis.
One area where Signals AV proved its mettle was in solving an open-ended issue with a custom-made playroom TV cabinet. The integrator motorized the open/close aspect but also factored in safety, as it was in a children’s room where little hands could easily get caught and injured, by adding sensors and password protection to the mechanism.
The owners were so pleased with the result that they re-hired this tech integrator for two more projects: a restaurant and another home.
- Equipment List
- Apple TVs
- Access Networks Networking System
- Apple TV & iPad
- Autonomic Mirage Media Server
- Clark Underwater Speaker Kit
- Crestron Audio Distribution Matrix & Amplifier
- Crestron Multiroom Audio Expander
- Crestron Digital Media Video Matrix Frame
- Crestron Wireless Gateway
- DirecTV Satellite Receiver/DVR
- Episode IR Sensors
- Furman UPS and Power Conditioner
- IC Realtime DVR Surveillance System
- Inca Lift and Post Swivel Custom TV Lift
- James Loudspeaker In-Wall Speakers
- Kaleidescape Movie/Music Server
- Liberty Speaker Cables
- Lutron Lighting
- Marantz Surround Sound Receiver
- McIntosh Home Theater Processor & Power Amplifier
- Middle Atlantic Equipment Rack
- Niles IR Emitter
- Open House In-Wall Wiring
- Oppo Blu-Ray Disc Player
- Panamax Power Conditioner/BlueBOLT Offsite Reset
- Panasonic Phone System
- Planet Waves HDMI Cable
- Samsung TV
- Séura Weatherproof Outdoor TV
- SIM2 Projection System
- SolidDrive Invisible Transducer Speakers
- Sonance In-Wall Subwoofers
- Sony Blu-ray Disc Player
- Speco Outdoor Day/Night Camera
- Stewart Filmscreen Projection Screen
- Strong Razor Articulating Mount
- Sunfire Powered Subwoofer
- Totem In-Wall/In-Ceiling Speakers